Page Menu

Student Support

The House system is at the heart of the Queens’ strong pastoral care programme. A school within a school, a sense of identity and belonging within a larger community.
We want students to be able to:

  • Develop psychologically, emotionally, intellectually and spiritually
  • Initiate, develop and sustain mutually satisfying personal relationships
  • Become aware of others and empathise with them
  • Develop a sense of right and wrong


The whole school approach

  • A clear vision and values that are understood and consistently communicated – through assemblies, mental health ambassadors, and a growth mindset culture
  • Support and training for staff to build skills, capacity and their own resilience
  • A support network that enables pupils to develop social relationships – through our 50+ extra-curricular activity options, prefects, the house system, and learning support
  • A curriculum that values life skills, including social and emotional skills
  • Teaching that develops resilient learning
  • Effective partnerships with parents


Support systems for those at risk include:

  • Targeted interventions based on the individual need
  • Learning Support, with an open door policy, self-referral and a chill-out area available
  • Close contact with parents as required
  • Additional support for the most vulnerable includes
  • Personalised curriculum and exam access arrangements
  • Working together with parents and outside agencies



Matron is available to support young people with a range of wellbeing needs that centre on health and physiological wellbeing.


Sometimes it is appropriate for the student support team to foster a relationship between students so that they can support one another. More often than not this is a student from an older year group supporting those lower down the school. The needs of the student needing support are usually ‘low level’ and we feel that they benefit from hearing from another individual closer to their age who may have experienced similar issues.

If the needs of a child are slightly more significant and require an adult to support them, the student support team will work to develop a mentoring partnership between a student and their chosen adult in the school. This mentoring will normally take place once a week but can be on a needs basis, and staff mentoring is usually appropriate for students whose academic studies or social wellbeing are beginning to affect their happiness or wellbeing.

School counsellors

At Queens’, we utilise the service of external counsellors through Safe Space who hold weekly specialist sessions with students. This is a confidential, targeted therapy service to support students with significantly poor emotional or psychological wellbeing.

YC Hertfordshire

YC Hertfordshire is a service which provides youth work projects and programmes, information, advice, guidance, work related learning, outdoor education and support for young people.  Our in-
school Personal Advisor can be accessed via Student Support Team.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

An external agency that supports students with a broad spectrum of wellbeing needs. It can be accessed by seeking a referral from a GP, or in some cases a referral from a member of the pastoral team at school. In order to support students completely, it is essential that school is aware of any referral that has been made to CAMHS so that we can work together to support the young person.

Education Support Teams for Medical Absences

Occasionally, a young person’s wellbeing can be poor enough for them to be unable to attend school. The ESTMA team support young people who are unable to attend school temporarily because of medical reasons, whether that be emotional, psychological or physical. The teams work closely with the school to minimise the disruption to the child’s education and to support their re-integration as soon as possible. As well as schools the team works with parents, the young people and other professionals to ensure children and young people’s education continues as normally as possible

External Support

Your GP can refer you to local mental health services. The following LINKS may also be helpful for those seeking professional help with their mental health: