Science at Queens’ School
Welcome to the Science Department at Queens’ School. These webpages are an introduction to our department and will soon be developed into a more interactive and helpful website.
AQA Additional Science Revision paper/mark scheme 4463(PDF)
- temporary link to the AQA GCSE website.
- How Science Works,
- Cells, Food and Digestion, Reproduction, Environment and Feeding Relationships
- Particles, Useful mixtures, Element and Compounds
- Forces, Electricity, Heat Energy and Solar System
- Respiration, Microbes, Inheritance, Plants
- Chemical Reactions, Patterns of Reactivity, Environmental Chemistry
- Forces II, Electricity II, Gravity, Earth and Space, Sound
Year 9 – First term only
- Non national curriculum sex education, Heart and Health, GCSE controlled assessment practice
- Acids and Alkalis, GCSE controlled assessment practice
- Light, GCSE controlled assessment practice
Pupils currently study the OCR AS and A level Biology. Pupils undertake a practical exam in both years and also complete a fieldwork course at the end of their AS level year.
Here at Queens we began to follow the new OCR Chemistry A Specification in September 2008, H034.
|Teaching Units||Assessment method and weighing|
|F321: Atoms, Bonds and Groups
||1Hour Written Exam
AS – 30%
|F322: Chain, Energy and Resources
||1 Hour 45 mins Written Exam
AS – 50%
|F323: Practical Skills in Chemistry
AS – 20%
Course Specification can be found at – http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/key_documents/GCE_Chemistry_A_Spec.pdf
Specimen/ Sample assessment material can be found at – http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/asa_levelgceforfirstteachingin2008/chemistry_a/index.html
OCR Past papers can be found at – http://www.ocr.org.uk/pastpapermaterials/
Please note- as this is the first year the new AS Chemistry specification has been taught and the first exams in it are this January the past papers on this site are for the old Chemistry Specification. However the content is very similar and all relevant questions should be attempted to aid revision.
Student have been given a textbook which contains a Cd-rom to aid their studies, ‘Exam Cafe’ Revision Guides for OCR Chemistry A can be purchased from each of the following publishers:
- http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/sci.htm contains teaching notes for the new OCR specification as well as multiple choice tests students can do and mark online.
- http://www.chemistry-react.org/go/default this website is not specific to the OCR specification but contains relevant topic information and more multiple choice tests.
The course followed at Queens’ school is OCR AS/A Level GCEChemistry A – H034 H434
For more information please see the following link:
Course specification can be found at www.chemistry-react.org. This site is board specific and has many valuable parts to it e.g. tutorials, web guides and multiple choice tests for each topic. The Practical Investigations section is worth serious viewing for your piece of written coursework.
Past papers – some past papers can be downloaded for free at http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/pastpapers/Default.aspx, any that are not available on the web will be supplied to you during the course.
Pupils currently study the OCR/IOP Advancing Physics specification. This course is an innovative and exciting introduction to the fundamentals of Physics and uses specially written software to support modeling, image processing and sound processing.
- Course overview (OCR website)
Year 9 Revision sheets