Why Study Chemistry?
This course will give you the skills and understanding to make decisions about the way chemistry affects your everyday life, applying concepts to contemporary areas of chemistry such as:
- Climate change
- Green chemistry
- Chemistry research
In addition, a GCE in Chemistry allows you to develop a range of generic skills requested by both employers and universities. For instance, a successful GCE level chemist will be an effective problem-solver and be able to communicate high-level concepts both through speaking and writing. Handling practical results will be a key part of your work, allowing you to demonstrate data manipulation skills as well as use of numeracy and ICT. You will build up a range of practical skills that require creativity and accuracy, alongside developing a firm understanding of health and safety issues. As chemistry is a subject in which much learning stems from experimental work it is likely that you will need to work effectively as part of a group, developing team participation and leadership skills. As you become more skilled you will take responsibility for selecting appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods and recording your observations and findings accurately and precisely. You will then critically analyse and evaluate the methodology, results and impact of your own and others’ experimental and investigative activities.
OCR GCE Chemistry gives you the opportunity to study a core of key concepts in greater detail. Many of the ideas first covered at GCSE will be revisited but with a greater emphasis on explaining rather than simply describing the behaviour of molecules. While studying GCE Chemistry you will develop practical skills that include making observations, collecting data, analysing experimental results and formulating conclusions. You will also gain an appreciation of how scientific models are developed and evolve, the applications and implications of science, the benefits and risks that science brings and the ways in which society uses science to make decisions.
The written examination Units F321 and F322 each comprise 80% of the course. For Unit F323 you will be assessed internally on your practical work for the remaining 20%.
Is this the right subject for me?
AS or A level Chemistry is suitable if you:
- have a passion for, and enjoy chemistry
- want to find out about how things work in the real world
- enjoy applying your mind to solving problems
- want to use chemistry to progress onto further studies in Higher Education or support other qualifications or enter chemistry-based employment.
In addition a number of other courses either specifically require or find it desirable to have a GCE in Chemistry. These include courses such as chemical engineering, medicine, veterinary medicine, biological sciences, environmental science, pharmacy and dentistry.
Minimum Entry Requirements:
Grade A in Additional Science and an A in the Chemistry component of Additional Science or GCSE Chemistry.
Grade B Mathematics
Grade B English
See Dr Shafiq or Ms Smith for details